Friday, January 27, 2012

M4 year: first semester!

The Nipigon Hospital



Beardmore's Health Centre, north of Nipigon, where a doc travels weekly to see patients in clinic. It made the Nipigon hospital feel like a  level one :)

I started my month of September working in Nipigon, Ontario in Canada.  I had really wanted to have a rural experience as well as an experience in a developed country other than the U.S. to learn more about different health care systems. My family had spent a lot of summers and spring breaks in Nipigon, nestled between Lake Superior and Lake Nipigon and some fantastic fishing, so it was a great place to return to learn some medicine!

View of Lake Superior from the Dupuis Camp



I was able to stay with my family's friends, Ray and Louise Dupuis and work at the Nipigon Community Hospital and clinic with five amazing docs.  The whole community was incredibly welcoming and they were fantastic teachers. This has been by far the most fun and enriching experience I've had throughout medical school.

Ray's camp's Inukshuk (on Lake Superior)



I was able to meet my mom in Grand Marais one weekend as well as spend one weekend in Thunder Bay with Nicole Dupuis. Both were fantastic trips! I got to eat at the Angry Trout in Grand Marais and hike a couple stretches of the Lake Superior Hiking trail with Maclean and my intrepid mother. 

View from the Dupuis cabin












Salmon pasta at the Angry Trout in Grand Marais
Lake Superior Hiking Trail
Mom and the Lake Superior Hiking Trail
Mac and me--hiking!

Bridge over the Devil Track River--beautiful hike!

Devil Track River


Once September was finished, I headed to Duluth for October to rotate for a month at the Duluth Family Medicine Residency Program. I had a wonderful time and met some awesome faculty and residents. Super inspirational people--many of them wanting to go on to do rural and international care.

I also loved being able to see my family, stop by my grandparents' place for coffee on any morning breaks, head down to the lake with Maclean for some retrieving/swimming, and got to run the Whistlestop half marathon in Ashland, WI with my highschool buddy Emily Beresford. Mom and I took another hike near Finland, MN on the Baptism River. It was a really hot day with beautiful fall leaves.

Being in the north made for a really beautiful, happy fall.

November was full of interviews and exams (taking Step 2 of my licensing exams). December I was able to visit Kathryn in Berlin, which is documented on her blog, The Deutschland Diaries!

After a month of Urology in January in Milwaukee, I'm gearing up for my trip to Nepal next month! 


Rocks at Stony Point near Knife River, MN

Stony Point with Maclean












No comments:

Post a Comment