Saturday, February 4, 2012

Aarti's Tour!

Prayer flags on the Buddhist Stupa
Favorite things in Nepal:

1) New words. We had a two hour language lesson with Dil yesterday right after arriving. I love these words; I love how great people are about helping us practice, and the way faces light up when you try Nepali phrases. When you think you hear Aarti saying "sub-I", she is not referring to a medical subinternship, however. Nepali people, like the general American populace, do not know that English word. "Sibai" means "all" as in we are alllll going to Dhulikhel, not as in we are all doing sub-i's in Dhulikhel. :)

2) Cold/Hot. The temperature during the day gets really steamy and nice! As soon as you are in the shade or the sun goes down, it's really cold! I love it! It's perfect! Nice and warm for walking around, nice and cool when you want to snuggle under covers and sleep.

3) The feeling you get inside Stupas and Mandir (temples of the Buddhist and Hindu varieties). I like that feeling that there are such big things in the world. Similar to how you feel inside churches, or listening to symphonies, or being in the mountains or on the shore of Lake Superior. It's beautiful.

4) Food. This is self explanatory, but dal baat is delicious. Fruit is delicious. New tastes are fun and I love trying it :)

5) Beautiful people. Such a wide variety of faces and skin tones and eye shapes and colors and styles. I love people watching here and chatting with people in stores or on the bus.

6) Tuk-tuks: One form of public transportation: like a small gutted out van where you pay a small sum and sit on a bench and go from place to place, stopping when you say you need to stop. Reallly reminded me of sotramas in Mali, and I think they're so much fun!

7) Baby animals! Mainly baby monkeys and puppies :) These were found in abundance today and gosh it's amazing how cute baby animals are.

8) Friends. Old and new. I am so incredibly lucky to be here sharing this experience with some of my favorite people in the world. I learn so much from them and the thoughts they share as we explore new places and learn new things. I can't wait to learn medicine here with them and see more of this beautiful country.

Sending so much love! Namaste from Nepal!!

Stupa--behind me are the prayer wheels and you turn them as you walk clockwise around the Stupa praying.


Another Stupa--we got to go inside and there were huge beautiful gold Buddha statues and wonderful paintings.


Cremations near the Hindu temples, by the river. The orange coverings are covers on bodies being cremated.


Cheers to a wonderful first day in Kathmandu!

3 comments:

  1. ohmygosh, you have really beautiful pictures! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namaste from Duluth!!!!!!!!
    Your narrative and pictures are wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your reflections so far and thanks for the pics. So amazing! Keep the stories coming. I am so excited for the rest of your journey and miss you very much. Hi to everyone else. XOXO

    ReplyDelete