Friday, February 10, 2012

Dhulikhel

View from the brief hike to a view point. Himalayas!

Dhulikhel Hospital aka Dhulikhel Spa. This place is huge and beautiful. Wow.
We arrived in Dhulikhel! We met up with Katie, John, and Ben who have been scoping out the scene for the past week. This is a great respite from the noise and dirt of Kathmandu--beautiful! Mountains! The hospital is also fantastic--high quality medicine and doctors in a beautiful setting. I think the hospital looks like a spa.
Other favorites so far:
HIMALAYAS! You might think you've seen mountains, but PUMP YOUR BRAKES. You have not seen these mountains. They are BEAUTIFUL! Yesterday we hiked to a lookout near our hostel along the most perfect hilly trail. Words will in no way do this justice. Find me in March and I'll show you pictures, which will also not do it justice. I felt like I was in a fantasy novel and tried as hard as I could to burn the images in my brain, so hopefully that sticks. :)
Dal baat: This is Nepali Thali (Nepali food! yum!) I literally could eat this every day for a month and probably still love it. It's scrumptious.
Chia: Nepali tea! There are chia breaks intermittently throughout the day and I could drink this stuff a LOT. Much better than the coffee breaks in the States. Why is it that just about every other country in the world has a lovely tea tradition of relaxing and sipping a hot beverage, and Americans have coffee-to-go?
Patan Durbar Square: Area near our guest house in Kathmandu where there were lots of Hindu temples with really really amazing carvings and buildings. Truly just a beautiful place! Leading to...
Hindu Gods: Shiva, Vishnu,Brahma--a Hindu trinity! I want to read stories about these gods. It is so cool to see all these carvings and temples and know that such a huge portion of the world's population finds so much significance in this tradition. I want to know more!
We met some Norweigian engineers today, and one quoted a statistic that 70% of tourists to Nepal will return. This place gets into your bones! It's so beautiful, the people so friendly, and really just something intangibly amazing. I think I'll be part of the 70%. Who wants to come with??! :) 
Nepali Thali! (Dal Baat-delicious dish that we eat at lunch/dinner

Patan Durbar Square: I have a bajillion pictures of this beautiful place. This is just to give you an idea!


Mountains! This is on the five minute walk to our guest house from the hospital.


Medicine in Nepal: X ray from a patient with disseminated TB. We have been getting some amazing medical experiences.


4 comments:

  1. Can you please enter your pictures in a contest or something? They're so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pictures, the comments! Wish I were eating with you and drinking that tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, me, I definitely want to go with. I am dying to see those mountains! Take lots of hikes and gorgeous pictures. I can't wait to see!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally, 100% in for the next round. BIG HUGS from MSP!

    ReplyDelete